Rio de Janeiro is a fascinating city and a hot spot for tourists, especially during the Carnival season. With a tropical weather offering balmy temperatures year-round, no wonder that many prefer to escape the colder climates and head to the beach. Such a large city can be expensive, but Rio de Janeiro also offers plenty of low cost accommodation. While the budget hotels aren’t exactly very cheap, hostels will save you a lot of money.
Here are a few things to keep in mind as you are looking for the perfect Rio de Janeiro hostel to stay in during your holiday:
- Some properties use the name “youth hostel” but that doesn’t mean that there’s necessarily an age restriction for travelers. It just means you are staying in a budget-style accommodation, typically offering only dorms.
- The word “backpacker” is synonymous with “budget traveler”, so don’t worry, you don’t need to carry your belongings in a backpack to qualify as a hostel guest. Oh and some properties do use the word “backpackers” in their name.
- Hostels are ideal for socializing, especially if you travel solo.
- Saving money by staying in a hostel is great but you might not just agree with the idea of sharing a dorm with 10 or 20 other guests. Don’t worry as most hostels also offer at least some private rooms. Some private rooms have their own bathroom but it’s not a requirement. Still, you’ll still be able to socialize when you use the TV lounge or the common kitchen.
- The most expensive hotels are located a short walking distance to either Ipanema or Copacabana beach. In Lapa, GlÃ³ria, Catete and Botafogo you’ll be able to find cheaper alternatives.
- Always check the websites for reviews. Fraudulent schemes are still quite common, unfortunately, so make sure you are not rushing to book a cheap room in an excellent location but end up being robbed once you get there.
Prices range from $17 to $53 per bed per night, depending on location. In some cases, the breakfast is included in the bed price.
Search this map to find hostels in Rio de Janeiro, or find even more hostel options by searching with the widget above.