Generally speaking, when an American citizen needs the help of the American Embassy, something went terribly wrong. Hopefully that won’t be the case during your visit in India, but make sure to keep this information handy.
The American Embassy in New Delhi and the Virtual Consulate Bangalore, the Consulates General in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai are meant to offer assistance to the US citizens living in India and those traveling to India.
The emergency services offered by the American Embassy include:
- assistance to American citizens arrested in India
- assistance to American citizens victims of crimes in India
- if an American citizen becomes ill or dies in India
- emergency transfer of funds
- access to list of lawyers and doctors in India
- replacement of lost or stolen passport (within office hours)
- contacting the family in the USA
- special services, such as reporting birth abroad
Unless there’s an emergency, appointments are required. The American Citizens Services are available Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 12:30 pm. The Embassy and consulates are closed on the American and Indian holidays and on the last Wednesday of every month.
If there is an emergency involving an American citizen in India, you can call the 24-hour operator at (+91-11) 2419-8000 and ask for American Citizen Services. If you call from India, but outside of New Delhi, first dial 011 and then the number.
American Embassy in New Delhi
New Delhi – 110021
24, Kasturba Gandhi Marg
New Delhi – 110001