Generally speaking, when an American citizen needs the help of the American Embassy, something went terribly wrong. The American Embassy in Lima is meant to offer assistance to the US citizens living in Peru and those traveling to Peru.
The American citizens traveling to Peru are urged to register with the Embassy, so that help is offered better in case of an emergency.
The emergency services offered by the American Embassy include:
- assistance to the American citizen is arrested in Peru
- assistance to the American citizens victims of crimes in Peru (including theft and robbery)
- assistance if an American citizen dies in Peru
- access to list of lawyers and doctors who speak English in Peru
- replacement of lost or stolen passport (without appointment during regular office hours)
Emergency contact number
If you are an American citizen with an afterhours emergency, you can call the hotline at: (51-1) 618-2000 (24 h a day).
American Embassy in Lima
Address: Avenida Encalada, Cuadra 17, Monterrico – Surco, Lima, Peru
View US Embassy in a larger map
Working hours: Mon to Fri: 8 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Cusco Consular Agency Contact
Address: Avenida Pardo 845, Cusco
Phone:  (51) (084) 231-474
Mobile:  (51) (084) 984-621-369
Fax:  (51) (084) 245-102
The consular agent is available 24 h for emergency assistance in Cusco and the surrounding area. The consular agent can accept passport applications.
Photo by: Church at Chapel Hill