While Portland isn’t exactly a tourist hotspot, there are a few companies in town which offer Portland city tours. Their seasons vary, so be sure to find out whether they’re offering tours during the time you’ll be visiting. And don’t think that city tours of Portland are reserved for visitors – residents enjoy learning about Portland as much as tourists do, and taking a city tour can even introduce locals to new favorite places in town. C’mon, pretend you’re a visitor for a weekend and go explore Portland!
Here are some of the companies offering city tours of Portland:
- Portland Walking Tours – These are just what the name says, in that they’re walking tours of (mainly) downtown Portland. There are some other areas of town which are covered by specific tours, including the Pearl District and a SE neighborhood with four rose gardens. The tours run rain or shine, but shut down during the winter.
- ecoShuttle Tours – In addition to running eco-friendly shuttles for events, this company also offers tours of Portland and the area (scroll down to see them). See the area an eco-friendly vehicle!
- Willamette Jetboat Excursions – These tours are a great way to see the city from the river, but you’ve got to be willing to get a little wet. They don’t run year-round, so check in advance to make sure you’ll be able to go.
- Portland Haunted Tour – Portland doesn’t have as much of a sordid past as some other cities, but this tour will highlight all the dark and dirty secrets the city has.
- Portland Bicycle Tour – Three-hour tours around SE Portland on bicycles, they provide everything you need (including the bike and the helmet). Tours run each Saturday starting at noon – reserve a spot in advance and dress appropriately.
- Portland Spirit – One way to see the city from the river, the Portland Spirit offers regular daytime and dinner cruises on the Willamette River (a sister ship covers the Columbia).
- Grape Escape Winery Tour – It’s not in Portland, but there are wine regions which are easy day trips from the city. They’re private tours, so gather some friends together and make an event out of it.
- Portland Rose Hot Air Balloons – These hot air balloon tours give you a chance to see Portland and the surrounding area from the sky. The tours aren’t cheap, but they’re memorable.
- Portland Duck Tours – Hop on an amphibious vehicle and go straight from the road to the river without moving from your seat. Thanks to on-board heaters and windows, these tours run year-round.
- My Chauffeur Transportation & Tour Co. – For a private tour of the city (or wherever you want to go), hire a limousine and treat yourself.
- A Pacific Northwest Sightseeing Tours – This company offers a wide range of tours of not just Portland but also of the surrounding area.
DOWNLOAD OUR TRAVEL GUIDES
Here are some things to do in Portland based on reviews and ratings from 1000+ sites across the web.